11 Dead as a hotel tunes covid center caught on fire
Around 11 dead as a hotel which turned as covid center is gutted in flames in Vijayawada on Sunday.
There were 30 Covid patients and 10 staff members at the hotel at the time of the accident. The fire broke out at 5.30 am officials said. Twenty people have been rescued from the hotel so far, police said, adding that several others are feared trapped inside the building.
"The incident took place around 5 am. Around 22 patients are being treated in hospital. We are evacuating the entire building. The reason of fire appears to be a short circuit, as per the preliminary report, but we will have to ascertain," said Krishna District Collector Mohammad Imtiaz.
Hotel Swarna Palace was being used by Ramesh hospitals on lease to treat Covid patients. 15 people have been injured in the incident. They have been rushed to hospital. 2-3 of them are critical," a senior police officer told. Anyhow, the flames were brought under control with in half an hour. "A staffer whose PPE caught fire ran out of the ward to douse it but the fire spread rapidly to the whole ward," a fire officer . About 45 patients were admitted to the 50-bed hospital at the time of accident.Gowtham Sawang , DGP rushed to the spot and reviewed the situation, monitored rescue operations.
Governor Bishwa bhushan Harichandan instructed the state government to take rapid action to control the situation.
Prime minister Narendra Modi also spoke to the state government and expressed his concern.